Root Canal Treatment
With the modern dental instruments, technology, and advanced techniques available today, having a root canal procedure is as comfortable as getting a routine dental filling. In addition, a root canal is typically the best way to relieve toothache pain, save a damaged tooth, and preserve your natural smile.
At the office of Dentistry By Design, PC we use the latest dental technology to provide precise and gentle care to help each patient maintain a healthy, beautiful smile. Professional dental care and comfort are our top priorities, and you can know that your oral health is in the best of hands.
Why You May Need Root Canal Therapy
When a tooth needs root canal therapy, the dental pulp has become unsaveble or has died. If enough intact tooth structure remains, and there’s adequate bone support around the compromised tooth, you will not need the tooth extracted. In addition, a fully developed tooth does not require the dental pulp to remain functional. Therefore, you can preserve your natural tooth by having your Endodontist perform a root canal on the target tooth.
Although not every tooth discomfort indicates the need for root canal therapy, some of the warning signs include the following:
- Unresolved, persistent pain
- Temperature sensitivity
- Discomfort with pressure or the slightest touch
- Darkened, discolored tooth
- Chipped, cracked, or fractured tooth
- Swelling around the tooth and gums
The Importance of Timely Dental Care
While some signs and symptoms can indicate other dental issues, they all require immediate evaluation and care. Sometimes, a tooth needing root canal therapy has not yet demonstrated overt symptoms. It may first get diagnosed and brought to your attention following a comprehensive, routine exam. Typically, these teeth show radiographic evidence of periapical pathology (root end pathology) or other types of structural damage.
When an Endodontist recommends root canal treatment, it is essential that you receive timely dental care. Delaying dental treatment increases the risk of more widespread and severe symptoms developing. In addition, a dental infection can harm oral health and even threaten overall health and well-being.
How is a root canal procedure performed?
During a root canal procedure, our Endodontist will remove the diseased pulp, clean the internal portion of your tooth, and fill all the prepared canals with a biocompatible filling material. Root canal therapy is commonly performed under local anesthesia. Still, additional options in dental sedation are available to reduce any anxiety.
What to expect following root canal treatment
Our patient’s care and comfort are our top priorities at the Dentistry By Design, PC office. We help each patient enjoy optimal oral health and keep them well-informed every step of their journey.
Until the local anesthesia wears off
- Immediately following your dental visit, you may experience lingering numbness. The familiar sensation usually returns within a couple of hours. However, until the local anesthetic has completely worn off, you must protect yourself from unintentionally biting or injuring your lips, cheeks, gums, or tongue.
- Root canal therapy will eliminate the pain of a toothache. You may experience mild to moderate discomfort immediately after the anesthesia wears off. These feelings should subside within days. Our office will also recommend appropriate over-the-counter pain medications and provide a prescription if indicated.
Be mindful of the treated tooth.
- Even with a temporary filling, a tooth with a root canal remains vulnerable to stress. It is susceptible until Dr. Ayoub places a crown or suitable permanent restoration. In the interim, be mindful of the treated tooth. While you need to be cognizant of a tooth that has received a root canal, it’s vital to continue brushing and flossing your teeth as usual. Maintaining adequate oral hygiene prevents further dental issues and supports healing and optimal oral health.
With proper maintenance and care, a tooth treated can last a lifetime. At the office of Dentistry By Design, PC, our dentist, Dr. Joseph Ayoub and his team provide the highest quality of dental care. If you have additional questions or concerns, persisting discomfort, or signs of an infection, contact our office for prompt attention and care.
Schedule An Appointment At Dentistry By Design, PC
Contact our dentist at 631-823-1004 if you have a toothache or tooth pain to be evaluated for a root canal. Our Dentistry By Design, PC team evaluates and treats root canals for patients from South Huntington, Huntington, and Melville, NY as well as many surrounding areas.